Thursday, July 31, 2014

A Shawl for Gram

I've been doing a fair amount of gift knitting as of late. One of the gifts I was most excited to make is this shawl for my grandmother. This year is a big birthday for her and I, unfortunately, won't be able to see her on her birthday. She is a crocheter and does cross stitch. So I knew that she would appreciate the effort in making her a handmade garment. I also had always wanted to knit an Ulmus Shawl. (Cousins, aunts, and uncles: SHHHH!!! Don't spill the beans on this one!)

Now, one of my goals was to try and find some yarn to use in my stash. I have sooooooo many skeins of sock yarn. After starting on this shawl multiple times, I just didn't have yarn in coordinating colors that I thought would be good for Gram. I picked out one that I liked and called around to the local shops to find a particular variegated yarn I wanted. Finally, on the third call I found the yarn I needed. Woohoo!!!

You would think my troubles would have ended there. Ummm....nope..... No matter how long you have been knitting or how good of a knitter you might be, you always make mistakes. I kept reading the chart on this one wrong. Over and over and over. Stupid and silly migraines do not mix well with knitting. After clearing my head of pain, it was a piece of cake. I love how it turned out and hope Gram does too!


Pattern: Ulmus shawl by Kirsten Kapur


Yarn: Madelinetosh Tosh Sock in 1 skein of Ophelia and 1.5 skeins of Hollyhock


Needles: US 5



No comments: