Thursday, May 29, 2014

Kool-Aid Dyeing Yarn

Remember those pictures of our yarn dyeing session I promised? Here it is! Here you can see that we put down a plastic tablecloth to protect my antique ice cream table. It is hard to see, but there is Saran wrap laid out under the yarn. We soaked the yarn in water and a dash of dish liquid before we painted it. 


You can see the "ketchup" bottles in the picture. You can get these for a buck at most grocery stores. We used between 4-10 packets, depending on the color and how dark we wanted to color and then filled the bottles with tap water.


Carol LOVES blue and wears turquoise a lot, so it was natural for her to gravitate to the berry Kool-Aid. You can see in the picture that we used a paper towel as our tester to see what the various colors combined would do.


Yummy break! Carol brought up this cake for my birthday and it was so so so so good! We enjoyed our treat after cooking the yarn for 2 minutes at a time in the microwave until the water runs clear. Be sure to then leave the yarn to cool in the wrap. I left mine overnight and then rinsed it and hung it inside to dry.


This is Christina's dyed yarn on the needles. Isn't it awesome!?! She did such a great job with her colors and it is creating a super fun zig zag pattern. The only explanation I have for this is that when she did it, she did sort of zig zag on the colors and would then pat them in.


This is my yarn ball. The tequila sunrise colors worked and my desire to have an overall red with white, yellow, and orange splashes here and there totally worked. I've been knitting this up as a shrug and will share that in a future post. 


Here is Carol's finished skein, which is just gorgeous. If it goes missing, she might check my yarn stash! I think I might have to dye one this color...reminds me of the beach.


2 comments:

Acorn to Oak said...

That looks like so much fun! I've dyed yarn with Koolaid and cooking it in a pot on the stove. The way you did it looks a lot more fun. I want to try it. What kind of yarn did you use? Looks like a fun way to spend your birthday! Happy Birthday! :-D

Brownie Knits said...

Hi there! It was super fast, too. We used cascade heritage as our base yarn.