Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Birthdays and Kool-Aid

This past Saturday was my birthday. It doesn't feel quite right to say I celebrated it, but I did force myself to keep the plans I had made. I've come to realize that a lot of dealing with grief means faking your way through the day and looking back on everything later to realize it is all a bit of fog. No matter how present you thought you were at the time. So, off for some pedis we went, then a yummy lunch, followed by some yarn dyeing with Kool-Aid.


Here is my skein using cherry red, orange, and yellow lemonade. I was going for a tequila sunrise look, but with more red and less yellow. I put the red on first and left some sections white. Then, I put on the orange and then finished with the yellow. Overall, it turned out pretty well. I'm excited to ball it up and then figure out the right project. (I'm tentatively planning some sort of spring/summer neckwear, but you never know.) 


The yarn base is Cascade Heritage in white. It is a 75% superwash merino and 25% nylon blend. We wet the wool in water and dish liquid and then laid it out on saran wrap. Using plastic ketchup bottles (the old-style picnic types), we mixed the packets of Kool-Aid with water and applied the colors. For the red, I only used 4 packets. However, I used 5 for the orange and 5 for the yellow. You can use fewer packets for a less intense color and more for a richer/deeper shade. Then, wrapped loosely in the saran wrap, you cook it in the microwave for 2 minutes at a time until the water runs clear. Let it cool in the wrap and then rinse the yarn out. NO color came off of my yarn when I rinsed it or hung it to dry. You want to hang it dry out of the sunlight.

It felt really good to be creative again so I'm giving myself permission to try and start working on my designs and projects again. Sometimes, you just have to get your mind occupied. I've asked the other ladies to send me photos of their yarn to share on the blog. All three were very different and showed off a bit of our personalities. I still have plenty of packets left, so I'll be digging out any cream/white yarn from my stash to dye. The upside of using Kool-Aid is that it smells really good and you don't have to worry about all the harsh chemicals. Yes, you are a little limited on your colors, but I plan to look up the color wheel to refresh all those yellow+blue=green combos!

After our little adventure, we settled in for some yummy cake and a few gifts. Several of those were knit-based, of course! So, tune in later for a little look at those fun items.

No comments: