Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Shuttle Tatting

Back at Christmas I was gifted a bunch of classes to Craftsy.com. Most of the classes I'm enrolled in are centered around knitting, but I also enrolled in Shuttle Tatting. At the end of last week and the beginning of this one, I've been giving it all a go. This class didn't require much in the way of materials...a shuttle and some thread. (On a side note, I would recommend starting with size 3 crochet thread. I originally tried much thinner thread and it was super frustrating. After switching to the 3, it all fell into place.) And now for the "big" reveal!


This little butterfly was my first project. It doesn't look like much, but it uses all the basics of tatting (or so I've been told). My goal in learning to shuttle tatting is to make some snowflake ornaments for the Christmas tree. They are just so beautiful and classic.


There are different shuttles out there. I purchased this plastic one and another plastic one with a removable bobbin and a crochet hook on it. I found that as a beginner it was easier to tat with this larger one. It felt more controlled than the smaller one with the bobbin. You unwind the thread from the center of this one instead of having to fuss with getting the bobbin to move, too. It makes this little click sound each time you pull the thread and the sound puts me in the mind of the clicks on the show 24! Oh, how the mind connects things. I can't imagine Jack Bauer tatting, but if it got him out of a jam, he probably could do it, too!


These are my practice pieces. Nothing great, but I kept going on it until I got the "flip" mastered. 


No comments: