Saturday, March 1, 2014

When the Cats Away...

Patrick had to travel for business recently and he might never leave me alone again given how nuts I went in the yarn shop! I was super lucky that mother nature sort of cooperated so that Carol could drive up for a girls week and Tonya and Christina could gather with us for an evening of Olympic watching. The four of us were gasping in unison as we watched some of the cross and race events. Phew, those people can really take some spills! Anyway...


Patrick was flying out while these HUGE snowflakes were coming down.


Despite all of them yelling at me via email and text, I still went out and shoveled the drive before everybody arrived the next day. It was a good test of my abdominal healing and I was good to go. Two months after surgery I was actually shoveling snow...modern medicine is amazing!

There was much knitting, cooking of yummy foods, watching of Olympics, and laughing. Then, on Wednesday Carol and I hit up the yarn shops. Oh my...we are such bad influences on each other, but we have such a great time. 


This yarn will become a spring top that I want to design...my goal is to have it ready to wear to TNNA....we shall see!!!


I fell in love with this cowl on the cover and grabbed Koigu to whip it up. Being that winter seems to be lasting forever, I'll probably still have time to wear it this season. At least it will bring lots of color!



A skein of sock yarn to make me some nutty socks...


And some socks for Patrick...

On the last day of Carol's visit, I was signed up for the monthly art class I take. I was super excited when there was an open spot for her to sign up, too. It was great to share this little class that makes me smile each month and challenges me to let go and relax and try something I'm not great doing. It is as much a class in learning how to just be as it is an art class. This month the instructor gave us a beach scene...wishful thinking. We can pretend it is out our window, right?


We applied masking to the areas we wanted to remain white (the sailboat, white caps in the water, and the stripes on the beach chair). We also used salt to pull up and speckle the painted area of the sand. I LOVE how my sand turned out. It has some much texture to it. I even liked how my shadows turned out. It is sitting on my mantel so we can dream of summer and sitting on a beach. It was also a good reminder that I can pull out my springtime rain artwork in a few weeks to put on the wall. Two of my favorite watercolor pieces I've done use the salt technique. Can't wait to see what we make next month!




No comments: