Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Lots of Crochet and a Little Knitting and a LOT of Snow

Over the last few weeks I've been focusing my knitting and crochet energy on making thank you gifts for the nurses and PCAs at the hospital. I only have one more item to make and should wrap that up today. Woohoo! They will be dropped off next Monday at my surgical follow up. I'm glad I got them all ready so fast so they can enjoy them yet this winter. And, boy, do we have a real winter going on in Indiana right now. It is colder here this morning than it is in Alaska and the South Pole (according to the weatherman). Yesterday our top temperature was -10...actual temp...wind chill was -38. And, on Sunday we got 12 inches of snow at our little house. We typically get 26 inches all year. Since I haven't posted in a bit, I thought I'd share some winter pictures along with all the projects. Happy scrolling!





Our little winter wonderland out back...the dogs were not happy about going out for potty duty.


In the front yard little IU gnome (a Christmas gift from my Duke-loving brother and Kentucky-loving SIL), got buried in just a few hours. We still haven't dug out to even get the mail, but I'm not even sure the mailman made it here yet! Patrick is waiting for the weather to hit the 20s before going out to shovel.


Before the snow hit, PK snapped this picture of Kiki in her new winter coat. Our poor little yorkies sit so low to the ground that without some form of clothing, they get snow balled up on their belly and then spread it all over the house. So, the coat actually serves a purpose, but isn't that fur hood too cute!?!


Kennedy sat at the end of the bed during the storm and watched the snow for hours. I love this look on her face. It makes me think she was trying to say, "Have you SEEN this?"


These red boot cuffs were crocheted on a US H/8 hook using Berroco Vintage and the pattern Crochet Boot Cuffs Pattern by Jodi DeJonge - HdCDesigns. Here is a link to her Etsy shop where she sells the pattern and the made cuffs: HdCDesigns.


The green cuffs here followed the same pattern with two modifications...I did more rows for a larger circumference and I left off the shells at the top. They were crocheted using a US H/8 hooks and a special Madelinetosh Tosh Merino DK in Thoreau I had from a club several years back.



After making the boot cuffs I started playing around with the idea of a "ribbed" wristlet. I came up with these little wristlet cuffs decorated with buttons from my button stash. I plan to release the pattern as a freebie on my BrownieKnits.com site in the future. They are fast to make and would make wonderful gifts. I used a US H/8 hook and all three shown here were out of Madelinetosh leftovers. (Can you tell I was letting myself splurge on using super nice yarns while I was recovering? I kept going to the MadTosh bin!)


After all the cuffs and wristlets, I decided to whip up a few ear warmers. I used a pattern from BobWilson123 designed by Clare Sullivan. The pattern name is Vintage Headband.




I used a US H/8 crochet hook and more MadTosh for the blue and green ones. The red one is out of more Berroco Vintage. No mods were used for the first two. For the green one, I made it 18 inches instead of 21 for those of us with smaller heads.

Next up I knitted a Birthday Cake Cowl designed by my friend Christina of ClassicCableKnits. It is a free Ravelry download and is such a fun pattern to knit.  I used a size US 9 needle and the yarn is Fiesta Boomerang.



I then knitted a What a Slouch hat (pattern by me, Brownie Knits) for my only male nurse. Used up two partial skeins of Berroco Vintage in black and heather gray and a partial of Knit Picks Swish Tonal in Thunderhead. I knitted the L/XL size on a US 7 needle.


In addition to the projects highlighted here, I am also giving several Mamie hats and a Colvin hat that I already had made up. It's been a nice project to help keep me busy during recovery. I've had tons of trouble concentrating on things for longer than 20 minutes, so many of these projects were perfect!

And, because I couldn't leave out little Riley, I had to share a picture of what he has done this week. Well, he really has done this the entire time I've been back home and he took over my fleece blanket that santa brought me!


No comments: