Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Goodbye 2013

To say that I am happy to see 2013 head out the door is a bit of an understatement. If you followed the blog, you know all about the health issues. Since I wrote the Ted the Tumor post we were informed that he actually was cancer. I'm still coming to terms with all of that and if you are interested, you can read the latest on the CaringBridge site. But here, on this blog that brings me so much release, I plan to move ahead! But first, what did I accomplish in 2013? What did I set out to do?

Back in the 70s with my younger cousin Kim. Even then I loved a good purse!

Goal: Work on and finish up scanning in all the old photos. 
Result: Ummmm....got a few more done, but still lots to go!


Goal: In 2012 I designed and released 4 new knitting patterns and 1 crochet pattern. I would like to match those stats in 2013 and (this is a big one) work on patterns for a knitting book I have in my head.
Result: I actually had a very productive pattern year (releasing 9 new patterns, one of them publishing in a digital magazine, and 4 of them also being sold via Knit Picks). The book idea, well, I did a lot of research and have a plan in place for 2014!


Goal: Keep using up that stash yarn!
Result: WooHOOO!!!! I feel really good about this one. I kept track all year long and I used up 18,275 yards of stash yarn. Can I do even more in 2014?


Goal: Do things that make me happy...we spend so much of our lives worrying over things. During the last three years, I feel like I've transformed my life a lot to focus on the happy.
Result: Well, health issues got in the way a LOT, but I still managed to go on a two week vacation for my 40th birthday and had a BLAST at the Bruno Mars concert.

Goal: Try new crafts and activities...even if I am not good at the task but enjoy it.
Result: I enjoyed going to as many watercolor classes as possible, got back into cross stitching, attended the Knit & Crochet show, and took a broomstick lace class. All lots of fun, indeed.

Goal: Continue working on the weight/exercise/eating/health goals. Sign up for and complete at least 2 5K walks in 2013. Also, work on loving the body I'm currently in and taking care of myself. Remembering that life is too short to feel so down over looks. This is not an easy one for me, but I don't really think it is for most people.
Result: Well, I lost weight, but not the way you want to do it. I wasn't able to exercise much because I was confined to the bed with little to no energy much of the time. However, in a way I consider this goal more than met because we actually got the RIGHT diagnosis. You never want that to include the c-word, but it is a relief to know what is wrong with you.


There were also many things that I did that weren't planned on 1/1/13. From a business standpoint I launched BrownieKnits.com with an updated logo, revamped business cards and got some other marketing materials printed up. AND...I set up a trunk show and was invited (along with said trunk show) to Knitwits Yarn Shop where I taught multiple times over the summer. In October I became a card-carrying designer member of TNNA. Woohoo!

The most important to me, personally, was my reconnection with love of reading. I read 25 published novels, several not yet released short stories and novels, and loads of magazines/craft books. I thought I would share the published novel list in case you are hoping to read more in 2014 and are looking for some recommendations.

  • The Big Sleep
  • Defending Jacob
  • The Inner Circle
  • The Spy Who Came in from the Cold
  • Cover Her Face
  • Reconstructing Amelia
  • Dark Places
  • Sharp Objects
  • Six Years
  • Case Histories
  • Inferno
  • Whose Body
  • Ingenious Murder
  • Trust Your Eyes
  • The Red House Mystery
  • The Truth Line
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles
  • The Interestings
  • The Ocean at the End of the Lane
  • Heat Wave
  • The Husband's Secret
  • Cuckoo's Calling
  • Where'd You Go Bernadette?
  • The Last Policeman
  • The Fault in Our Stars
  • Countdown City


So, what are the plans for 2014? Tune in tomorrow!

No comments: