Sunday, November 24, 2013

Sunday Share: Spectral Cowl/Scarf

We are super spoiled in Indiana to have a fantastic shop in Fort Wayne that stocks only sock yarn. It is a beautiful store in an old fire house. Earlier in November (maybe it was actually October), we drove up to just get out of town for a bit. I seized on the opportunity to head to Simply Socks and get yarn for a Spectral. From the moment I saw this pattern (thanks Carol for the link) I wanted to make one. It just looked like something I would wear and it would slide right into my wardrobe. 


I finished it, blocked it the next day, and then wore it out the next two days. Yes, it is a keeper! The designer did a great job with her instructions and it is a pretty easy repeat to get in your head so you can knit away. It was an attention keeper because you get so excited to finish one color and start the next one.


Here it is folded up so that you can see the color changes. I used Cascade Heritage for the two darkest colors, Lorna's Laces for the medium gray, Miss Babs for the variegated, and Heritage again for the center color. Mine measures a bit deeper than the pattern, but I'm happy with that. I used a US 3 needle.

I loved making and wearing this so much that the girls and I are going to do a mini-KAL using this pattern. With knitter friends in two locations in Indiana and one in Ohio (and all with busy lives), we all knit the same item every now and then and exchange emails as we go. It's a great excuse to chat with your friends and make something for yourself. I'll be making my next Spectral from stash sock yarn so I'll have to see what I come up with...it might use fewer color changes or it might be WILD!

No comments: