Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Quick Tip Tuesday: Yarn Management

You love the yarns that come in hanks of skeins, but hate having to wind them into a ball. You are knitting along with your yarn ball and it collapses on itself or produces yarn barf. The tangled mess of string is driving you nuts, slowing you down, and making you scream. Sound familiar? If you knit or crochet, you've probably run into this issue. It used to frustrate me WAY more than it does now. What's different? Along the way a yarnie co-worker who was a master spinner taught me how to wind a center-pull ball on my thumb!


Yarn barf!


Locate one end...


Put the end over your thumb...right or left (whatever makes you comfortable)


Wind some yarn around the thumb...


After you have a bit built up, rotate the ball on your thumb and wind some more...


Keep repeating those actions until you have it all done!


You will be SHOCKED how fast you can get lots of yarn under control this way. I did that HUGE ball on my thumb. I was mid-project and wanted to get a better handle on how much yarn I had left. I simply put the working yarn (attached to my sweater) on my thumb and re-wound into a new ball. I use this winding technique for new skeins and when my yarn collapses mid-project. Every time I think I'm so glad that she taught me one day at the shop while we were eating scones!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great tip!

diane