Friday, August 30, 2013

Favorite Friday: Yarn, Part I

When I thought about selecting a favorite yarn, I almost had an anxiety attack! How do you just select one favorite? Oh my goodness...there are so many. I decided that the answer was you don't select just one. So, this is labeled Part I. It will be limited to three favs that will be discussed over the next few weeks. This week I opted for Madelinetosh Tosh Vintage.


200 yards per skein
18-20 sts per 4 inches
Recommended needle: US 6-7

I easily could have just said anything MadTosh, but I went with the worsted weight Tosh Vintage as I find it to be what I go for when it is on the shelf. It is a 100% superwash merino wool that is soft, springy, and the dyes are beautiful! It is the type of wool that you want to snuggle in on a cold rainy day. It wears incredibly well and is just gorgeous.


I'm not a big variegated yarn girl. I love solids, but I also enjoy texture and movement. Tosh is perfect for me because it has the slight variations in color without drastic color changes. (The above picture is a little sneak peek at an upcoming Brownie Knits design. Are you curious?!?)


The stitch definition is so great, which makes it perfect for sweaters, hats, and afghans. Are there downsides to this yarn? As with everything, there are a few drawbacks...namely, price. It is a quality yarn in high demand. It takes shops a long time to get in orders because of the demand. For me, it is worth it. I find that when I need a specific color I can pop around online to find a shop who has it in stock. (Support your LYS by checking there first!) One other note about this yarn, wash it alone the first few times to avoid dye coming off on other garments. Even with the price and the careful first few washes, it is my favorite yarn. If you decide you want to give it a try but only want to buy a skein, you could make a Flossie hat!


This pattern is available for $1.99 USD  buy now

No comments: