Friday, August 9, 2013

Favorite Friday: The Moss Stitch

Welcome to the first Favorite Friday blog post! These posts will cover my favorites of just about anything crafting and will probably also include some books, food, and restaurants from time to time. I decided to start off with my favorite knitting stitch. For a lot of people this is their least favorite...the Moss Stitch. So, why do I love it?

  • I love love love the final look of this stitch. It provides texture and dimension, which is a design element I am always drawn to.
  • It provides a rhythm that I enjoy...constantly changing between knit and purl. Now, it is worth pointing out that this is the very reason why lots of knitters list this as their least favorite stitch. It can slow you down and you have to pay some attention to make sure you don't end up with two knits or purls in a row. On the third row you have to make sure you do the opposite of the row below... However, these aspects force me to get lost in my knitting and put all other thoughts out of my mind. It becomes a bit of meditation for me and finds me more relaxed.
  • The moss stitch allows other stitches to flourish. It can set off cables so that they can become the star of the show.
  • It is REVERSIBLE!!!!! Woohoo...I love reversible.
My first year of knitting I took a monthly "block of the month" class where we made a 12x12 block each month and at the end of the year had a complete afghan. Each block taught you a new stitch pattern. It is a fantastic way for new knitters to experiment with different techniques and reading patterns. I fell in love with moss stitch. At the time I thought that moss and seed were the same thing. Over the years, I've become a little more educated on the topic and now know there are some distinguishing points:
  • Seed stitch and BRITISH Moss are the same...K1, P1 on one row and do the opposite on the next row.
  • Seed stitch and moss on this side of the ocean ARE different...
  • Moss is considered an elongated version of seed stitch...Moss = K1, P1 on the first row, on the next row K the Ks and P the Ps, THEN on the next row you do the opposite, and on the 4th row you K the Ks and P the Ps again.
I prefer moss to seed because you get a little more space due to the fact that is worked over 4 rows instead of 2. The Range Wrap that I am knitting right now uses moss Stitch (the bottom of the photo).


Some patterns that use Moss stitch are listed here, in case you want to give it a try!

No comments: