Friday, August 16, 2013

Favorite Friday: Knitting Books

Last week I had the opportunity to give a private knitting lesson to a guy who wanted to knit so that he could provide infant hats to the hospital where his daughter was born. The hospital had given his daughter a knitted hat when she was born and this really meant a great deal to him. As we were wrapping up the lesson I was going over some good beginning knitting books that he might find useful. That got me to thinking about what my favorite knitting books are, so I decided to do a round up of them in this post for you all. Do you agree? Is there one I missed that you just love? I love a good knitting book!

  • The Knitting Experience: The Knit Stitch by Sally Melville -- THE beginner book, IMO. Great illustrations, excellent instruction, lots of photos, and every project just uses the knit stitch so you don't even have to venture into purl stitch just yet.
  • The Knitter's Handbook: Essential Skills and Helpful Hints from Knitter's Magazine -- Just an excellent reference book for all skill levels. A great book to toss in your knitting bag for questions that pop up as you knit your projects.
  • Knits Men Want by Bruce Weinstein and Jared Flood -- I bought this book to make a specific sweater for Patrick. I'm SO glad that I did because it is FULL of wonderful patterns and each one has multiple gauges and sizes for every one. This ends up meaning you have loads of options.
  • A Treasury of Knitting Patterns by Barbara Walker -- Okay, so I actually would include all four of these books. If you are a designer or just want to design for yourself, these books are must haves. They are absolutely stuffed with stitch information.
I notice that there aren't many pattern books on my list. It isn't that there aren't beautiful and gorgeous pattern books out there. It is that there are SO many! How do you pick just one? So, I will settle on Itty Bitty Hats by Susan B. Anderson. I think I've knitted 75% of the projects out of that book. It's a great book and she is a great designer.

On a side note, there is another book that I hope to add to my favorite knitting book list in the future. It is The Principles of Knitting by June Hemmons Hiatt. The thing is a brick and is lots and lots of instruction and reading, but even just glancing through it I've picked up knowledge. I have this on my iPad mini and hope to read it throughout 2014. Yep, it'll be on the yearly goal list!

No comments: