Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Vacation Recap I: Beach Days

We are back home after a two-and-a-half-week vacation. It was glorious and we had such a great time. I'm glad I took SO many pictures so that I can remember all that we did. For the first week, we spent a LARGE amount of time on the beach and reading. It was fabulous and I'm ready to do it again! Of course, we don't have lots of "beach" photos because we were relaxing, but here are some favs during our outings.



Whenever we go down, we always go out on a dolphin boat one day. Zipping along the gulf is relaxing and it feels great to be out in the open water. A little group of three dolphins came up to play around for us. Such beautiful creatures.




This tree is on a little island made from shells. Years ago, we had our picture taken in front of it. We were sad to see that it had not survived the storms over the in-between years. (We got a chuckle when we realized that Patrick had on the same clothes both trips!)


The old photo



I love how much he loves his silk summer shirts. Such a cutie!


Being devilish...it was super windy that night.

Of course, we had to read while on the beach! The first week I read Case Histories by Kate Atkinson. I enjoyed it a great deal, but I did find that it took me a day to get into the book. I attribute this mostly to the fact that pretty far in you are still meeting new characters and getting to care about them. This was one of my Goodreads reading group books, so I was happy that I got to read a new-to-me author. Not sure that I would read additional ones in this series, but I did find out that there is a TV series that covers this book and two others with this detective. I do believe I will be looking those up to watch while I'm knitting. If you are an avid mystery reader, it is a must read, imo.

The second half of the week, I started reading The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer. I'm still finishing that one up, but I am enjoying it. A nice break from all the mysteries that I read. I also started The Inferno by Dan Brown during the second week of vacation. Should be wrapping both of these novels up this week. Patrick also enjoyed the unplugged time of reading hard copy books on the sandy beach. Have any good books on your summer reading list?

No comments: