Friday, May 10, 2013

Playing with Burlap and Yarn

Last fall I found this treasure during an adventure to a vintage festival. Ever since then I have wanted to try out crocheting, knitting, or embroidering on burlap. I picked up a roll of "banner" burlap thinking I might make a table runner or something.


The inspiration...

After thinking it over for a bit, I realized I really don't need another table runner and I really wouldn't be into the burlap on my dining room table every day. However, I could use some coasters in the family room where this art hangs.


I found this at Hobby Lobby. Download their app and you can use a 40% off coupon.

I cut a snip of the burlap...my method of measurement was making sure it was wide enough for a glass bottom with about an inch extra all the way around. I then used the first coaster to measure and cut the others.


Be sure to cut a straight line...this will help prevent raveling.

Then I made some crocheted flowers. I would recommend using either an acrylic yarn or a machine washable wool so that you don't get that wet wool smell when condensation runs onto the flower. My other recommendation is to make sure that your flower center is mostly even to house the glass bottom. Start your petals further out. For this reason, I think the flatness of knitting would also be great for this project.  I hope you have fun playing around and making some burlap coasters!


Yarn in sample: Knit Picks Brava Worsted


Hook: US H


Leave really long tails to whipstitch the flower onto the burlap.

You could use any flower design you like. I make this layered flower a ton for different projects (headbands, blankets, etc). I've seen various versions of the pattern in multiple books, patterns, and blogs. Pick one you like the most or wing it! I am planning to work up some sunflower burlap coasters for fall. Sunflowers? Me? Shocking, I know. :) Until fall, these lovely little guys will be soaking up condensation off our ice water glasses.

No comments: