Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Who? The Doctor...

My patient hubby has been taking care of me over the last few months as we learn to live with my tummy disease. During his birthday, I was especially out of commission and missed celebrating it with him properly. No gifts, no party, no special meal, bad wife. So, when I started to feel better and came across a Doctor Who scarf kit, I thought this might be a way to make it up to him! After showing him the scarf and getting a huge thumbs up, I started mapping out colors and yarn.

First, there is an entire website devoted to this scarf pattern. You can find it here and have fun getting in lost in the large amount of info! It is a very long and wide scarf, so it requires a lot of yardage. I settled on Knit Picks Wool of the Andes because it is a yarn I like, the color selection is large, and the price was unbeatable.


I am making the season 12 scarf and following the inches chart on the doctorwhoscarf.com site. It calls for 56 stitches at a width of 11 inches. My gauge was off so I changed my count to 49 to get the 11 inches. I also elected to not do the slip stitch edge, which is listed as an option on the site. I'm knitting it on a US 7. My colors are pretty close to most that you will see, but I did replace the grayish tone with a blue per PK's request. I believe the scarf is supposed to measure somewhere between 12 and 15 feet when it is done. Got any Who fans in your family? Might be a great holiday gift...start now!

No comments: