Sunday, April 7, 2013

Books, Books, Books

When I was a little girl, my great aunt used to say that she wouldn't recognize me without a book on my nose. I jokingly put on FB earlier this year that now I have my iPad mini attached to my face. Always a book lover (thus the career in publishing), I didn't really know how I would take to ebooks/ereaders versus a print book. I haven't really been afraid of technology, so I was less negative on the switch than other readers I know. I had a difficult time getting into reading on a full-size tablet. After I got a mini, I was hooked. It just fits my life (and hands and purse) better. I read on it ALL the time. I got back into magazines again and jumped full force into reading more, which had dropped off with all the knitting I do.

So far this year, I've read:

  • The Big Sleep
  • The Spy Who Came in from the Cold
  • Defending Jacob
  • The Inner Circle
and I'm currently reading:
  • Cover Her Face
  • 11/22/63
  • Patrick's second sci-fi novel
The majority of these books are on a mystery/thriller list that Patrick and I put together. We agreed to read these books fairly close to each other so that we could talk about them and sort of have our own two-person reading group. Most of the books are older and have been pulled from "greatest novels" lists. But, some are newer and are ones that we have heard about on GoodReads and other media outlets. Defending Jacob was a title I kept seeing over and over when I would plug in how much I liked Gone Girl. So, I picked it up and LOVED it. Patrick enjoyed it and so did a good friend who has similar taste in entertainment. Really, out of all the books listed here, all were great. I'm sort of on the fence about 11/22/63, but I'm only on page 125 of 1900+. I've been hearing lots about Reconstructing Amelia, so I'm anxious to wrap up Cover Her Face. What are you reading? 

Oh...and I finally got around to setting up a GoodReads account. Patrick has long been a user and I kept meaning to sign up. Of course, I did it and a week later the Amazon buy out was announced. I really hope it doesn't change under this new ownership. I liked that it was independent and I don't want to be hit with offers to buy off the Kindle app. I don't like their reader app at all. I LOVE iBooks...just feels more like a book to me. Anyway, if you are on GoodReads, hit me up! I'd love to see what you are reading and there are lots of knitting and crochet books in there, too. I'm also taking the GoodReads 2013 challenge and have a goal of reading 20 books this year. A drop in the bucket compared to others who have signed up but I have to get in my knitting time!

No comments: