Monday, March 4, 2013

Initial Hats

Over the last few weeks, I have been obsessed with i-cord. I haven't the slightest idea why or how this came about, but every design idea I had involved i-cord. I couldn't escape it. One of the main reasons I enjoy crocheting is because of the way the fabric can be manipulated into different shapes. Knitting often doesn't offer the same three-dimensional options. Unless, you are talking about i-cord!

It plays a major feature in an upcoming new pattern design from Brownie Knits that I hope to share with you all later this month. As I was knitting and writing that pattern, I was bouncing around thoughts about what baby gifts to make for some high school friends. As I was holding the cord in my hand, I started shaping it into letters and out came the idea for an Initial Hat.




I can't wait to see how they look on the little newborns. A little h for Hayden and a big J for baby girl. Now, I'm not sure that I will release this as a pattern anytime super soon as there are 24 more letters to plot out. But, I do think I'll be making some of these up and putting them on the Etsy shop. (Okay, I have to share that every time we talk about this hat, Patrick and I laugh about the Big Brother contestant years ago who tried to argue there are 27 letters in the alphabet. You know..."Y, AND, Z" ...um...AND isn't a letter. Oh my!)

Continuing on the i-cord train, I have some plans to make some stems with cord and straws. What about you? Any knitting obsessions as of late?

(Total yardage for these hats: 150; Total stash yardage used for 2013: 3354)

No comments: