Sunday, February 17, 2013

Final Photos of the Red and White Afghan

So, I posted earlier about my finished IU afghan but I did so from an app and it messed up the blog layout! Yikes. Now that I have better final pictures, I thought I would share one last time.


As you can see, the blanket fits right in with my home decor. Because you use a large needle (US 11) with sport weight to chunky yarn, it is a SOFT afghan and that makes it even better for cuddling. For me, the colors are of IU and mimic the candy stripe pants. A dear friend pointed out that it is also great for Valentine's day and looks like a knitted Valentine's card.


When selecting yarns for your own Kitchen Sink Blanket, I suggest selecting what will be your center (See the stockinette stitch sections with a basketweave between?) This is the yarn for which you will need the most yardage (around 450 yards of dk held doubled was used here). After selecting the "main" yarn, you can fill in all the other sections with whatever you like. No one section uses more than 400 yards outside of the center section, so you can use that as a gauge. I repeated yarns so that the afghan is a mirror, but you wouldn't have to and that way you could use more scraps and stash up. The key to this pattern is being free willing and letting your creativity shine.

When I designed this years ago, I did it with the idea of constantly changing so that I didn't get bored and not making a lot of fuss when you when from one section to the other. Each and every one looks so different from the last one...so much so that people have thought this one was a brand new design! You can get a copy of the pattern on Craftsy, Ravelry, or Etsy.

Not a knitter but one a custom-designed, one-of-a-kind afghan? Brownie Knits will be offering this afghan as a finished product in "solid" colors soon. For example, one will be all shades of green. If you would like to place a hold on a color, email us via our Etsy store.

No comments: