Thursday, December 13, 2012

Mitten Pair Number, Oh I Don't Know Anymore!

I think I might have to refer to 2012 as the year of the mitten! I've completely lost track of how many I've made. They are super popular items for the Etsy store, plus I've worked up several for us. In the last two weeks I've knitted 8 pairs! Here is the latest pair...


Yarn: Madelinetosh Tosh DK
Needles: US 6 DPNs
Pattern: Well...just casted on and went for it. 
At this point, I think I could make them in my sleep!


These are a men's small but are modeled on my tiny hands. They fell awesome! One trick to help make sure your mittens fit the receiver is to put rib at the top and bottom. Allows for the various sizes of hands...I also HATE the mitten patterns that have you increase for the thumb section. I much prefer to leave X stitches on a holder and cast on that amount on the next row. You then pick those up, plus the corner stitches for the thumb section. This, imo, allows the knitter to keep up the rhythm of the mitten without all the fiddling. I also think it ends up a nicer finished product as the thumb section pulls less. Just my two cents...I guess I could also remember 2012 for all the projects on which I knitted using DPNs. All the mittens, the beekeepers quilt, and all the farm animals for E were knitted on double points. I don't think I've knitted on DPNs that much in my entire knitting career combined. Do you have a knitting memory for 2012?

No comments: