Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Obsessed with British TV

Downton Abbey, Doc Martin, Luther, Vera, and on and on...I've become obsessed with shows from across the pond. I can't stand to sit and knit without music or tv and and I can't stand to watch tv without knitting (unless I'm super tired). Looking to get the most out of our $8.00/month Netflix fee, I started watching British shows. From there, the recommendations started flying in from all my knitter friends. You see, it seems that lots of US knitters are obsessed with the character-driven and less violent shows from our British friends.

So, here is a collection of the shows people have recommended. It will take me years to get through them all! The good thing is that many are in Netflix streaming and our local library has a large lot of them, too.


  • Downton Abbey -- You might live under a rock if you haven't heard the ramble about this one. Previous seasons are on Netflix streaming and new episodes are on PBS (although not fast enough!)
  • Doc Martin -- I fell in LOVE with this show. I'm a huge Gilmore Girls fan and this cast of characters gave me a similar feeling. Netflix streaming is up to date and I think new ones air here on PBS.
  • Murder in Suburbia -- Only 12 episodes but it features one of the actors from Doc Martin and I enjoyed the humor they injected into a murder mystery series.
  • Luther -- Much darker, but oh so good. (Deserves that Emmy nod for sure.)
  • Vera -- Also a bit darker
  • Ballykissangel -- I'm watching this one now. Feels right to watch it while knitting a sweater designed by an Irish knitter. Even have some cups of Irish tea while watching it...
  • Kingdom -- The other one I have going at the moment. Entertaining and his assistant is a cutie!
  • Zen
  • Inspector Lewis
  • Inspector Lynley
  • Midsommer Murders
  • Rosemary & Thyme
  • Prime Suspect
  • Wallander
  • Lovejoy
  • Case Histories
  • Rebus
  • Monarch of the Glen
  • Daniel Deronda
  • Wives & Daughters
  • The Way We Live Now
  • A Touch of Frost
  • The Last Detective
Of course, there are some other sci-fi ones that I catch with DH. Primary at the moment is Doctor Who.  I hope you catch a few of these treasures and if you have any to share not listed, give us a shout!


No comments: