Friday, September 14, 2012

Cameras and Shawls

During this past week, we went to our "new camera owner" class. The intent was to teach you all that your new investment can provide. We crammed in the room with way too many other people and settled in for about 2.5 hours. Immediately, I was struck by how spoiled I've become with the lack of meetings in my life. During my days at a corporate job, it was routine...meeting after meeting...and you adjusted your expectations to what was going to be accomplished or how a session would go. It was clear from the get go that annoyance was on the menu. People, you are grown ups. Show the hell up on time and respect the 40 other people in the room. We had to hear the same lecture over and over! We spent a great deal of time on some basic things I really don't think buyers of such a user-intense camera should have to be told (like charge your battery). It really detracted from the time dedicated to defining the parts of the camera, menu options, when best to use settings, etc. Those things were either not discussed or zoomed over in the last 10 minutes. Now, the class was free and I did learn a few things from it. There was a lot of information to absorb and I CLEARLY need practice with the camera based on my shawl photos below. Ugh--tried using the manual settings versus auto. The first 8 shots that I thought were great were all out of focus. So, I'm glad I took the class, I plan to practice until I am well-adapted to the camera, and I am SO glad I don't have to sit in endless meetings anymore!!!!!

I also added in this shawl to my week of knitting. The pattern is a free one from Berroco named The Miami Beach shawl. It is written as a warm climate shawl knitted out of cotton. However, I keep knitting them out of MadTosh in a DK or worsted weight (DK shown here). It works out great for a warmer shawl and the stitch pattern and flow of the shawl is a joy to make.



This shawl is off to the new owner. It was knitted as a "prayer" shawl. If you are a knitter or crocheter and you come across those times in life when someone you care about is having a rough go of it, I have found making them a shawl to be of comfort. When I say comfort, there is the joy and love that you hope the recipient gets out of it, but it is also a selfish comfort. I have a horrible time expressing my thoughts and feelings to people during life's hardest moments. I sort of shut off and don't know what to say or how to cope. But, you can knit or crochet them something and think about them and it makes you feel better, too, knowing you are spending time putting a positive vibe out to the universe.

No comments: