Thursday, August 30, 2012

Beekeeper's Quilt Progress

As I'm working on my own designs and projects, I've been knitting up at least one or two puffs for the Beekeeper's Quilt each day. The original pattern calls for a finished size of 3 feet by 4 feet and 384 puffs. My goal is to make one large enough for all of us to cuddle under it on the couch. I see snow falling outside and the four of us cuddled up watching a movie with the beautiful fluffy quilt keeping us warm. I'm figuring that means more of like a king size and about 800 puffs. We shall see...


So far, I have knitted 17 puffs. I used up a partial skein of Koigu first (thus the 7 matching puffs) and then started on my own custom dye skeins (see those blue ones). I hand-dyed two skeins of yarn in a class from Classic Cable Knits years and years ago. I used our trip to Falasarna Beach in Greece as my inspiration. I think you can see the clear blue ocean and the white clouds and brown sand represented in the yarn. I'm so happy I held onto it all these years for a project that screamed for me to use it. How perfect it will be to snuggle with Patrick with one of our favorite memories represented in the quilt!

Jimmy Beans Wool had a kit for the Beekeeper's Quilt, so I snatched up one in desert (currently sold out). Those are addictive little skeins because you can't wait to see how they look all knitted up!


So far, all the yarn is Koigu (even my custom used Koigu as a base). I am using US 4 needles and I did modify the pattern to use the kitchener stitch as my BO to avoid bumps on both sides of the puffs. Now I can have a perfect right side free of any bumps. Still trying to figure out the "right" amount of stuffing so that they are all sort of balanced. I just love how happy this project is making me. They are like short respites from the world.

No comments: