Sunday, August 12, 2012

A Shalom in Red

I wear my Shalom sweater more than any other sweater I have ever knitted. A few weekends ago when the floor was being installed, I was ready to pull my hair out. I was sequestered upstairs with two anxious dogs who were none too happy about the situation and made sure to let me know. I couldn't bring myself to work on the socks I had started, so I went to my stash in search of some yummy yarn to knit on larger needles. Out came this red Quince yarn and it jumped into Shalom form. Like before, it was a super fast project...the yoke was done that Saturday and I finished up the sweater the following week in between house projects and sock knitting. Great, right?



Knitted on US 10.5 needles
I did use my mods from my other Shalom (see Ravelry project for notes).

Well...not so great. Even though I used my mods from the last Shalom and got the same gauge (and the other one still fits), this one came out HUGE! I was so ticked off. The only thing I can guess is that the yarn weight (in ounces not thin/thick) was too heavy and pulled and stretched more than I thought it would. I put it aside while I worked on the farm. I decided that I could a.) give it away b.) rip it out c.) try to salvage it. I went with option c, which meant to steek it. Um, scary!!! 


After talking to some trusted knitter friends, I went with a crochet line instead of using a sewing machine. You can see the two lines here.



The cutting was scary...


I took out about 1.5 on each side...


A nice center line...


But not the prettiest end result on the inside...


A button from my button stash...


Such pretty detail on the yoke of this sweater...



Although the inside isn't so neat and tidy, the outside is.
With any luck, I did it all right and it will not fall apart on me!

No comments: