Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Beachband Pattern!

In the summer, I hate doing my hair--especially on vacations when we are in and out of the water a lot. Years and years ago, we had the fortunate pleasure of vacationing in Greece. While there, I discovered fabric headbands that you could wear scrunched up or spread out to cover your hair or keep it under control. Over the subsequent years, these bands have gone on all warm weather vacations with me. While thinking and planning for summer 2012, I thought it would be fun to design my own knitted versions of a band. Thus, the Beachband was born.


You can wear it as a headband when it is scrunched up. This one is knitted using Berroco Lago (1 ball in Citrus), which is a viscose and linen thick/thin yarn. I knitted them up in an afternoon and they are addictive. I've already made three and I have plans to make several more for myself and friends. Wouldn't they be a fun item to give to your girlfriends during a vacation weekend getaway?




Here are some pictures with the band stretched out to cover your hair. Simply get out of the pool/ocean and pop this on top and head to grab lunch! The summer blend yarns are great for this project to make sure you stay cool and to grab the water from your hair and dry fast in the sun.


Knitted from side to side, it is a one-size-fits-all pattern...no really, it WILL fit all adult heads! The garter section buttonhole and button band portions allow you to button it wherever you need to fit your head.


This one is knitted using Knit Picks Cotlin (1 ball in Conch), which is a dk weight. Gauge for the pattern is 5 sts per inch on stockinette stitch on US 7 or size needed to get gauge. It uses one 3/4 to 1 inch button.

The pattern is available from Brownie Knits shops on Ravelry, Etsy, and Craftsy for just $1.99!

No comments: