The overview: I used 2 yards of dark green felt and lots of little sheets of colored felt papers.
I wanted to customize it to R, so I put the school he lives behind and his house. I tried to re-create poor Hank, the dog, but he looks more like a fat bunny!
A track around some water with some standard city buildings along the way, complete with a parking lot.
Grandma's house at the end of the road...
A little construction zone to play with bulldozers...
Aunt Gina and Uncle Patrick's house with our IU flag out front!
I hope that he gets many hours of play out of it. If you plan on making one, here are a few suggestions:
1. I free-hand cut all of the pieces. I thought it made it more child-like.
2. Get lots of BRIGHT colors to use for the houses and such.
3. Lay out all the pieces first and then glue down.
4. I used low temp glue so I didn't burn my fingers, well, not as bad as with the high temp!
5. Be creative and involve a guy. Patrick was very involved in this project. He would walk by and say, "It needs a ... or maybe do the road over here..."
So, for Valentine's Day 2012, this is my "hug in the mail" to R. Love you!!!