Saturday, January 28, 2012

Cooking Through the Kimchi Chronicles

I love to watch the Today show in the morning. Having it on in the background as I pick up the house, start the day, and work on pattern and projects keeps me in touch with a variety of topics. Late last year I saw a segment with the author of The Kimchi Chronicles. My hubby and I used to love our local Korean restaurant, but it closed several years ago. I was intrigued by the segment and book (and there is a tv series on PBS). We bought an ebook version of the book and decided to make one recipe from the book each week.

Off PK went to our Asian market. After LOTS of time in the store he found someone who could point him in the right direction and translate the labels. He came home with all the staples we would need and I have to say it was really cheap. Two bags of stuff for $25, and all of it would last us months and months for our recipes. Our first dish was the BBQ chicken with eggplant...amazing. I can't wait to try this one on the outside grill. I think it will just improve the taste. After that, I get a little fuzzy on the order. We have tried the fish pancakes, pork stir fry, and homemade kimchi. We haven't tried anything that we didn't love and many of the dishes have entered the regular rotation.



Then, we tried the seafood stew. YUMMY and BEAUTIFUL! The resulting broth of the soup was so yummy and great for your sinuses, too. If you are someone who likes Korean food or wants to try and be more adventurous, go out and get this book. If you don't have an Asian market near you, we have found ordering off of Amazon to be a great option.

No comments: