Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Fingerless Mittens

The few weeks before Christmas I got in a fingerless mitten knitting frenzy. I ended up making a pair for my SIL, her SIL, my BIL's girlfriend, and myself. I had a lot of fun knitting them all and adjusting the pattern each pair to improve upon the last.

First, I made a pair for myself. I used a free Knitty pattern by Stephanie Sun: Commuter Fingerless Mittens. I grabbed my Madelinetosh Tosh Merino DK in Thoreau (a club yarn) and a set of size US 5 DPNs. I knitted them up in an afternoon and the following morning. I LOVE that you can wear them three ways!


I sewed my front button on in a slightly different spot than the pattern called to do. I wanted to show off the cable more. I have to say that I am SUPER impressed with how the designer thought of everything with this pattern. Every angle looks finished, no matter how you wear them. So clever!




After I finished up my mittens, I casted on this pair for Meg out of Berroco Vintage, also on US 5 DPNs. I used the free pattern Susie's Reading mittens. I made this pair per pattern except that I used the thumb technique applied to the Commuter Mittens.





Then I made a pair in a dark gray for Camilla and Katie. I used the same pattern/needles with the altered thumb. However, I also made these pairs a little longer in the arm section...not by much (a few rows). BUT, these were knitted out of a wool (Paton's Classic Wool) so I was able to block longer when I washed them. I've posted before that for an economical box store yarn, Paton's Classic Wool is not bad at all. I find that it works up about the same as a Cascade wool does for me.



Fingerless mittens are a great addition to your winter outfits and they are GREAT for those of us addicted to smart phones! The designer of the beige/gray mittens grants rights to make and sell these. If you would like to order a pair, hit up my Etsy shop and convo me. We can customize your size and color.

No comments: