Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Classic Newsboy Hats

I went in search of a pattern for which I could make matching ones for brother/sister Jack and Ella. I came across the Classic Newsboy Hat crochet pattern from Adrienne Engar in Ravelry. I thought it was perfect! After reviewing the worsted weight options in my stash yarn, I settled on this cinnamon color as being suitable for both boys and girls and picked out classic leather-style buttons from my button jar. They will be part of their stocking for Christmas 2011. I hope they both fit well enough so that we can get a cute picture of them together.

Yarn: Dream in Color Classy
Hook: US G
Sizes: 6 months to 2 years for Ella and 3-8 years for Jack

Then, I sat down to pick out what I wanted to make for my nephew Raleigh for his stocking. I knew I wanted to make him two hats and one would be an improvised Mickey Mouse hat. After working up these two hats, I thought I'd make Raleigh a newsboy cap, too. This time I went for a green color to bring out his beautiful blue eyes. He loves his boxer, Hank, so I selected these paw buttons from the stash jar. Although Raleigh is only 1.5 years old, his head measures along the line of my nephew Jack (who is near 3), so I chanced it and went with the 3 to 8 years size. Worst case, he wears it next year.

Yarn: Dream in Color Classy
Hook: US G
Size: 3-8 years but .5 inch shorter in length

For all your crocheters out there, you can purchase a copy of the pattern in Ravelry. It took me a few hours for each hat. 

No comments: