Sunday, November 27, 2011

Christmas Tree Skirt

Last year our tree skirt bit the dust. It served me well for 19 years, so I can't really complain. That meant a new skirt would need to be acquired for Christmas 2011. I searched on Etsy and found so many that I loved. As much as I wanted one of those, I just couldn't use that much of the holiday budget for a tree skirt (some were close to $200). Off to Pinterest I went in search of a craft project I could do myself. Like many others on the site, I was hooked by the skirt from this blog. The idea that it was no sewing was what drew me in.




The beginning look...

Many people made their skirt to match the original (burlap and linen). I strongly considered this option and then saw PK looking at me out of the corner of my eye. I knew exactly what he was thinking. I love shine at Christmas. Off I went to Hobby Lobby to shop for my fabric and I kept hearing silver and gold decorations on every Christmas tree ringing in my head.

You start with an old skirt. In this case, I found a $5.00 skirt at Target. It had scallops that I trimmed off to make the skirt round.

Armed with my glue sticks and glue gun, I sat down to do this thing. I folded the fabric and cut them all to be 3 inches wide. Initially, I pinned the first row. 3 hours later I was ready to give up. I took a break for lunch and then decided not to let this thing beat me! I tossed the pins aside and went freehand. MUCH faster and better.

I worked my in sections versus the entire row first and then the next row. I found this to provide more immediate satisfaction, which was important in keeping me going!

I ended up running out of fabric and had to make a second run to the store. The original blog used 4 yards total. Mine ended up using more like 8. I believe my skirt is larger than the original and I put in A LOT of ruffles.

When all is said and done, I ended up spending $30 and 2 days on the skirt. I'm really happy with the end result and hope to enjoy it for years to come.




1 comment:

laurie said...

That is really cool!