Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Weekend of Work

This past weekend felt like the first official step of preparing our house to put it on the market in the spring. I am not someone who likes change all that much, but I'm getting used to it with everything that has adjusted in just the last 6 months. As I was standing in Lowe's to select new light and door fixtures, I had a mini anxiety attack that we are taking these steps. That lasted about 30 seconds before I thought and said out loud in the middle of the store, "How do you pick these things out?" I realized that on the one hand when you are making house updates to sell your house it is different than your own style. On the other hand, I want to make sure I like it too since I have to live with it for a little bit and I have to trust that what looks appealing to me could be appealing to others, as well.

When we moved into our house we discovered that the previous owner (the owner who had it built), had low-cost fixtures and appliances put in throughout. Over the years we've updated lots and lots (all the appliances, in fact). After talking to my MIL a few weeks back about how light fixtures can date a house, I started really really hating all the gold-colored pieces everywhere (always disliked them, but now they REALLY bugged me). So, while Patrick worked on Friday, I spent a few hours at the hardware store and then came home to install the doorknobs and some front yard work. Sunday I installed the rest of the doorknobs and started on the hinges. Patrick went about installing all the new light fixtures. Now, this was all an investment, but I have to say that it was not nearly as expensive as I thought it would be and it LOOKS like it cost a heck of a lot more. Wow, the difference is unbelievable!

Old ugly gold with tarnish on lots of them. Yuck.

New brushed metal...easier to clean and more current, too.

Of course, all these updated and bright lights show how much we need to paint and replace the 10+ year carpet! Good thing that was already planned. :) While PK is working this week, I'll be coordinating with our contractor to get the downstairs ceiling painted and installing the rest of the hinges.


Went with nickel and a brushed white theme for the lights. Patrick was so great to install ALL inside and outside lights on his day off from work. He's so patient and such a hard worker!


Updated doors...


Updated outside lights with complete glass coverage so...
NO MORE birds nesting at in our open bottom lights!!!!

I am so glad that this portion is done. I managed to cut both of my thumbs in the exact same spots, slammed my foot into the closet door while trying to avoid our dog, and cut up my wrist (looks like a cat attacked me). While none of this really relates to knitting directly, I did tell PK at one point that putting the fixtures on was not all that different than following a knitting pattern. He looked at me and chuckled...

No comments: