Thursday, October 6, 2011

Envelope Pillow with French Seams

One of the things I've been working on lately is a Craftsy sewing class. I wanted to take the class to improve my ever-lacking sewing skills. I'm pleased to say that it seems to be doing the trick! I hemmed a punch of jeans a few weeks back and they all were the same length and fit! The class for beginners on Craftsy is instructed by Diana Rupp and uses her book Sew Everything Workshop book. After listening to the basic videos, you dive into your first project: The Envelope Pillow with French Seams.


The class pillow is 20x20, but I only had an 18x18 form so that it the size I made. The pillow used a cotton fabric on the front and muslin on the backside. The back closure teaches hemming and then you sew the 4 sides of the pillow together using a french seam technique (which provides a finished inside seam). In addition to these techniques, you lean a lot about measuring, cutting ironing, setting up your workspace, and understanding instructions.


I'm pretty happy with it...it has 0% extra space (i.e. the cover is 18x18 and so is the form). The next time I make it, I will probably add a 1/2 inch around. I think my pillow form is fluffier than the one in the instructional videos. Next up will be a skirt for myself, which is covered in the Sewing Studio class. After that, I plan to sew up most of the projects in the book to get more and more experience.

If you are interested in enrolling, you can do so at www.Craftsy.com. In addition to sewing classes, they also offer knitting and crochet. Keep an eye on the prices because they seem to run discounts and deals often.

1 comment:

Ravensara said...

Cute, good job! I made the 16 x 12 envelope pillowcase from Sew Everything Workshop. I've never taken a Craftsy class, but I might copy you and make a larger envelope pillow.