Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A Trip East: Part II WWII Influences?

We had an interesting morning on Saturday of our trip. We stayed at a B&B that we really enjoy. As always, the room and food was great. It is always enjoyable to meet people at breakfast and is a big part of the travel experience. We had been at a cookout the previous evening and I got about 2 hours of sleep. I SO wish that I wasn't so out of it at breakfast that morning. 

You see, one of our breakfast mates that morning was a survivor of Auschwitz. He is a public speaker now and shared some of his perspective on life, the war, and the world with us. It was fascinating. I'm still processing what he had to say about the days after being freed and the personal stories of what he heard and saw. The thing that struck me most was how he was able to laugh about some of the things as he looks back on them. He went on to live life fully and become a successful businessman.

After breakfast we ventured up to an antique store...well...we tried. Instead, we stumbled upon a WWII reenactment. It was SO strange to walk around the corner and see a guy in full uniform carrying a HUGE gun toward you. Then, we came around the corner to see what was actually going on. It was freezing, so we tried to get some tea, but the line was huge. However, talk about being transported back in time at this scene!




We got a chuckle out of the German, American WWII, and the Civil War solider chatting on the corner and the WWII soliders discussing the lack of an Internet connection. Remember, I was walking on 2 hours of sleep with a sinus headache. It all really felt like a strange dream. I walked into the antique shop to find it pitch black (despite the open sign). I was the only one there with all this creepy stuff around me (PK was moving the car). All of the sudden the song White Wedding comes over the speaker. Yes, no lights and I hear "Hey Little Sister" all of the sudden. Then, the lights come on and a man pops around the corner. By the time PK arrived, there were all kinds of people in the store. I think he thought I was making up the experience. If I hadn't been so sleepy, I probably would have be scared to death and screamed. In the middle of it all, I looked down and had a large cut on my heal.



All of this, breakfast through WWII and the freaky store/cut, happened over a period of several hours. At this point, I looked at PK and told him to take me back to the B&B so I could take a nap before the wedding. How strange it all was!!!

No comments: