Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Petal Hat

I found a great pattern named Garden Party Hat from Be Still and Knit. So cute! I went out and bought the flowers for the petals and then sat down to knit the hat. My gauge was different from the Garden Party pattern, so I made up my own stitch count. (I was on the road and only had certain needles with me.) Then, I somehow missed a page of the pattern on my iPhone app and ended up deciding how often to place the petals on my own. I ended up placing double the amount called for in the pattern. I also followed my Flowers of Spring hat pattern for depth and decreases. Wow. Thanks to Garden Party for the inspiration...I seriously can't follow a written pattern in a car. At least I can wing it!

Yarn: Plymouth Merino Worsted
Needle: US 5

I recommend buying at least two "bunches" of flowers in two different tones. I feel that the variation in purples really add a lot of interest to the hat. If you follow the directions in the original pattern, your hat will result in a more floppy flower and you will be able to see the flowers more. Either option has their own pros. I can't wait to see Ella in this little number!


No comments: