Sunday, April 10, 2011

Spring Flowers

Every spring I struggle with the fact that I love fresh flowers in the yard, but I have a black thumb instead of a green one. Over the years, we've found a few plants and flowers that can survive my death trap--mostly hostas and the normal spring bulbs that pop up year after year no matter what. The flowers on our porch are always a trial.

We have one plant that did really well last year and PK kept it alive over the winter in his office. For the other side of the porch I thought, "What if I knitted some?" Sounds strange, right? But this would mean no worrying about watering and heat and on and on. I went digging around in the studio and found some Pick Up Sticks kits I had picked up on a 40% off sale with a free $25 gift card. Meaning, I got them FREE, basically! I knitted them up in few days and here they are awaiting the next step...









These little kits have the pattern, all the yarn, stuffing, and flower wire. You knit them on size 10 needles because they will be felted. I'll post pictures after felting and when I place them in their little pots. I'm hoping it all turns out super cute. I need to do a third one, so I'm going to wing my own design for the final flower.

No comments: