Monday, February 7, 2011

More Knitting for Ella...

My name is Gina and I am addicted to knitting girl items. I admit it. Well, it is what it is and I have been knitting boy items for 8 years, so I guess I'm making up for it. Here are the latest creations for little Miss Ella.


My SIL had me make several pairs of these over the years for her friends who had girls, so I had to whip up a pair for E. I used a partial skein of Koigu KPPM. I used my modifications to the standard Stay On Bootie pattern, including an applied i-cord bind off. I can't wait to see her little feet in them.

And then...I started with the dresses. I have three planned for her and the first one was only in a newborn size, so it was the first one I made. When the One Skein Wonder Sock Yarn book came out, I had to have it because I love sock yarn, but not making socks. I feel in love with the Fiesta Dress pattern, but I'm not a big Noro fan. (My aversion to scratchy yarns extends to Noro.) As I was helping a customer pick out yarn, I saw Berroco Sox in a bright colorway and scooped it up. I LOVE it!


It worked up really fast and I steam blocked it. You could see the stitches blossom before your eyes. The picot edge on the bottom, the little bit of lace, the color changes, the seed stitch top, I just loved it all. I used these little yellow buttons I had in my button stash and used different color strands from the yarn to sew them on.



I manipulated the color on the sleeves, but everything else happened naturally. Strange enough the back matched the front almost exactly! On a side note, I used my brand new steamer to block this garment. I bring this up because the steamer was the gift I selected from my 15 year corporate anniversary catalog. I wonder how many people opt for that gift!?! I was excited to get it because I have wanted one for a long time to use for blocking. Worked like a charm!

1 comment:

Meg and Pete said...

Ella is one lucky little girl!! (Even though I don't knit I am slightly addicted to girls' clothing :) That dress is adorable! I can picture it with little white tights...