Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Grandma's Hat: Reinvented

Last week (as promised) I took out my Grandmother's old crocheted hat, put on my thinking cap and sat down with a hook and yarn. I'm really happy with the result!

First, the original...


 
From my earliest memories, Grandma wore this hat. That would mean sometime in the 70s or early 80s, thus the colors! I love the hat not because of the visual look of it and the yarn colors, but because it reminds me so much of her. So, when I decided to recreate it I knew that I wanted to make an update to it. (I didn't want to feel ancient!) Here is what I came up with...


I started with an H hook and light worsted weight yarn (Yowza from Miss Babs) in a lovely monochromatic red. The top was a single crochet swirl out from the center without finishing off each round. Then I went into a Ch6 plus SC attachment for the large lace section.


For the bottom of the hat, I switched it up from the original a little more than the top. I alternated between HDC rows and DC. I also made it a little deeper and bigger around (although I did decrease some at the very bottom to draw in the edge). I wanted a bit of a slouch to the hat to modernize it.

Finally, I added on a flower and some petals. This is such a simple flower to make and you can toss it onto anything. Chain as many as you want. Work 2 DCs in each chain. Roll the work to form whatever shape you want. (This is a great way to work a ruffle, as well.)

I'm super happy with my new hat and plan to wear it often over the next few weeks as we work our way through the rest of winter. I'm so glad that I finally got around to figuring it all out! (BTW: The green is also Miss Babs Yowza and the pink is Dream in Color Classy.)

No comments: