Thursday, December 9, 2010

Family Heirlooms

When we went to Lafayette for Thanksgiving, my MIL surprised "the girls" with some special family heirlooms. I know that I will get things all turned around and wrong, but I'll try my best. Patrick's great grandparents on his dad's side of the family came to the States withe one suitcase of belongings. So, you can imagine how much they cherished all of their things. She handmade several crocheted hot pads and those had been passed down to my in-laws. Each of the girls got a crocheted item from the great grandmother. How special is that?

It is still in such great condition! I tucked it away in my yarn studio. The thing will NEVER touch a hot pot or pan!!! Katie received a red version of this one and Meg selected the round ones that were red and white and very cute. I love that so many of our grandmothers crocheted. It makes me smile to carry on a tradition.

Then, Diane brought out a pink tissue paper wrapped item and gave it to me. As I unrolled it, I knew exactly what it was. I had admired it before on a visit and investigated it to see how it worked and such. It was her grandmothers antique crochet hook. I got all teary. It meant so much to me to be given this item. I did some research online and it appears that the hook is bone. Most of the ones I found online had a hook on one end and a point on the other end, but this one is hooked on both ends with a connector in between. This, too, is displayed in the yarn studio in a special spot. 






No comments: