Sunday, September 26, 2010

Men's 2x2 Hat

I had an order for what some people call a skater hat, which is basically a rib hat that looks somewhat like a beanie and covers the ears. The customer selected a dark gray color and wanted machine washable. After finding a yarn that fit the bill (Encore Chunky in color 389), I sat down to figure out how many stitches to cast on. I settled on 76 and then knitted until it was deep enough. (Luckily, Patrick has the same head measurement as the customer, so I was able to have him try it on for a good fit.) The hardest part was that I didn't plan out my decreases when figuring out my cast on number. Normally, this doesn't matter so much, but I needed to build the rib pattern into the design and then end up with a new pattern. Not as easy as a normal knit hat, but I just went with it when the time came and worked out the math. Super happy with the end result!

Needle: US 10.5
Yarn: Encore Chunky (less than 1 ball)
Knit time: 2 hours

No comments: