Thursday, September 2, 2010

Escape to Stitches Midwest: Part IV

By Sunday morning I was exhausted, but still excited to go to the last class of the conference. The only crochet class that I took: Creative Crochet with Myra Wood. What a great class. First, you really needed to suspend what you knew about crochet patterns and just let your mind go. The idea in creative lace crochet is to start with a motif and then do whatever you want after that. Feel like 2 DCs, do it. Feel like turning your work, do it. It was kind of nice not to have to follow a pattern.

I ended up with this crazy little piece.

We learned how to cluster stitch and berry stitch. I had done these ages ago and forgotten about them. I got some great ideas for a future Crocheted Kitchen Sink afghan. People have been asking for me to create one of these for over a year now. I finally feel like I have a vision for it now!

It's hard to see, but Myra had on a beautiful sweater that was just a bunch of these freeform pieces put together. I also have to tell you that she looked SO much like my aunt that I had to keep reminding myself it wasn't her! They could be twins.

I ended market by picking up a few balls of Tosh Vintage to make PK a hat as a thank you for being such a great hubby and going along with me on this trip AND being so supportive of my knitting and crochet adventures. I think I might have found my new favorite yarn!




No comments: