Friday, September 10, 2010

The Colvin Hat

I had a request from a friend for a hat that had garter at the bottom and used buttons. After looking around at existing patterns, I couldn't find one that fit all the things I wanted. Many of them used worsted, I wanted REALLY thick. A few had some garter at the bottom, but I wanted it to cover the ears. Almost all of them that had buttons put onto a band that just went all the way around and I wanted a band that actually did overlap. So? What's a girl to do? I decided to design one that had all the elements just how I wanted them.

After finishing up the hat, I moved on to the hardest part of designing for me--naming it. I introduce you to The Colvin Hat--named after the person who requested it. I've always thought she had a great last name. I will be making these for sale on the Etsy site if you would like to order one (for the non-knitters out there). However, the pattern is drum rollllllllll......FREE! Click on the free PDF link off to the right side of the blog OR check it out in Ravelry.


Yarn: 1 ball of Encore Mega by Plymouth
Needles: US 15 16" circs/US 15 DPNs
Notions: Stitch marker; split stitch marker; button(s)


Size: Measures 19 inches, but has negative ease and fits a finished size of 18-22.
Gauge: 2 sts/inch in Garter

No comments: