Sunday, September 12, 2010

Baby Bootie pattern

I recently needed to knit up some baby booties. Having knitted a lot of these over the last 7 years, I wanted something that I hadn't done before and something that could inspire me for a future pattern. One of the ways I design is to knit up various items from patterns and brainstorm about how I could change things up with newer techniques and tricks. While I am still a little bit out from having a finished new design for a baby bootie, I did discover this little gem of a pattern along the way.

First published in 1989, Christine's Stay On Baby Booties have been knitted and knitted and knitted. The sideways rib on the foot portion is supposed to help the bootie remain on the baby. The ribbon/cord helps to make extra sure.

Yarn: Koigu
Needles: US 2 DPNs (recommend 5)
Mods: I HEAVILY modified from the ankle up. Adjusted the join to avoid gaps, refigured the stitch count in the YO row, shortened the upper portion, and added an i-cord bind off. 

This was a quick knit--completed in a few short sessions. They are now off to their new home. I hope they get many great years of use--on the current recipient and handed down over the years!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute! The modifications sound wonderful. I don't have any babies to knit for. But I may just knit some for the fun of it.

Becky Cauldwell

Anonymous said...

Gina....so cute! Would you be willing to share your modifications, more specifically?
Bonnie

Brownie Knits said...

Hey Bonnie,

I would share, but I didn't write them down! You could follow what she says through the eyelet row and then only knit 1 1/2 inches and work an i-cord bind off and it would come close to my modified look.

Hope this helps!
G