Monday, August 2, 2010

Sewing

Finally!!!!!!! After trying in 4-H and then again 9 years ago, I have FINALLY figured out how to sew. Well, sort of. More than I ever thought I'd be able to anyway. I took a one-on-one sewing class to relearn how to use my machine and ask all the stupid sewing questions I was too shy to do so in a group class.

(Side note: When I got my machine 9 years ago I took the free class that went with the machine. There were about 30 of us in an area to fit 10 people. I was made to feel pretty stupid at any and all questions I had and left in tears. I always try and keep this in mind when teaching knitting and crochet. I always limit my class size and try to make sure people feel comfortable. I doubt that I pull it off 100% of the time, but I do try--which more than I can say for that class 9 years ago!)

After taking this personal class with a very nice lady, I bought three patterns and the goods to go with them. I booked a second lesson for the hardest pattern (more about that after the lesson). For the easiest project I decided I would see how well I could do on my own. (I also thought I could gather together more pattern-oriented questions for my second class if I did a project on my own.) I sat down at the machine and went for it. Four hours later I had a reversible bag! It doesn't look half bad. Sure, there are a few blips, but they aren't noticeable until I point to them and say, "Thanks for saying it looks good, but see this mistake I made." Why do we all do that?!?

Option 1

Option 2

I used the book Sew What Bags by Lexie Barnes. I really liked how easy it was to follow. Good projects for a beginner and clear notes on how to do things. It was only AFTER I finished the project that I realized it was marked as Pro level. That helped my confidence a ton. There are a bunch of other bags that I want to make from the book and one organizer that I think would be a great knitting needle case. First up, though, is the ruffle bag in my class and then a Sun Hat. If I live to see those done, then I'll shop for more fabric. I MUST not build a fabric stash to match my yarn stash!

No comments: