Friday, July 9, 2010

Beach Bums

Patrick and I have discovered that we really, really, really like hanging out in warm weather climates at the beach. We escaped the land-locked state of Indiana and went south to Florida for a bit. We spent tons of time on the beach and in the water.

I've also developed a new habit of taking part in daring activities on vacation--well, daring for me anyway. In Turks I rode a horse for the first time. This time, I went parasailing! It was a lot of fun. I freakin' hate to fly and I am a terrible swimmer, but I got up there anyway and enjoyed it. I wasn't planning on doing this, but PK sprung it on me when I thought we were getting him a ticket. The next thing I knew, I was up in the air!


We spent one day at Seaworld. Let me tell you, this place has changed a lot since the late 70s! It is HUGE now. We signed up for a special Dolphin Spotlight tour. I would highly recommend this as the one splurge if you go to the park. It was absolutely worth it. After going backstage at the show and learning some different things about the dolphins, you get to train them. We worked with 3 3-year-olds: Chole, Lagos, and Alea. They stayed pretty focused for kids and worked really hard. One of their moms was working next to us and she came over and nudged her baby at one point.



We also got to pet Bella the Boy penguin, a shark, and a sting ray. The dolphin felt like a peeled, boiled egg. The sting ray was slimy and the shark was sort of scaly and rough. The penguin had some coarse and thick feathers. I really enjoyed how interactive the adventures were. I could have done without the unbearable heat that day. We recouped the next day with some time on the beach and in the water.


We also snuck in a visit to my Aunt Dory and Uncle Robert. It was so good to see them and share some laughs and stories. Sadly, I didn't remember to break out the camera!

So, I've been missing in Florida and not knitting or crocheting all that much. Time to get back to it!

1 comment:

Meg and Pete said...

Sounds like a fabulous trip! Way to go on getting out of your comfort zone! And the dolphins looked too sweet!