Sunday, March 7, 2010

Mistakes...Chances to Learn

I teach a lot of beginning knitters and I am often asked about when they will stop making mistakes. Well, I have a two-fold answer.

The first is that I tend to look at "mistakes" as opportunities to learn. Every time I make a boo boo, I learn something from how it happened, why it happened, and how to fix it. It makes me a stronger knitter--even if it isn't such fun in the moment. Does it tick me off when I get behind on a project because of a mishap? Absolutely, but it is all part of the process.

The second answer is that even the most advanced knitters I know continue to make errors. It is just less frequent than when we first start out. The more you practice, the better you get. The more you practice, the more you understand the different techniques and this understanding leads to better performance.

So, why am I blogging about these "chances to learn"? Well, you guessed it, I made a BIG error the other day. I got all up and thought that I remembered a pattern that I hadn't worked on in a week. I finished up that portion and kept on knitting. Knit, knit, knitting along and I'm to the next section that used that technique. I look at the printed pattern and realize that I had done it all wrong. Now, I evaluate my mishaps to decide how much it bothers me. If it does, I fix it. This was a big bother, so I frogged it WAY back. Lost 4 days of knitting in the process. I'm slowly working my way back to the point where I was...thinking the entire time that I get more $ out of the yarn this way, right? :) Good thing the little one isn't due until June!

No comments: