Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Gina Shawl--Worsted Version

You might have noticed that for the past few weeks I haven't posted a lot of finished projects. Fret not, I have ben DEEPLY involved in the knitting world. I have been teaching a ton and I also took an online knitting course. It was so much fun to take this class and be challenged. I cannot say enough about Stefanie Japel's online classes via her Ning network. I've taken an in-person class with Stefanie before and I adore her designs. I thought for about two months about which class I wanted to take. (Well, I wanted to take them all, but I needed to be realistic and somewhat economical about it!) I settled on the Design Your Own Shawl class. I wanted to up my design work this year, and I felt like this would help the process. The end result is The Gina Shawl.

 
I started by drawing out an idea and picking a stitch pattern.

 
The stockinette area all casted on and figuring out the math...I'm sure Mr. Harris never thought he was teaching me algebra so that I could use it to design knitting patterns!


The shawl all cruppled up, pre-blocked.

 
I just love Dream in Color Classy--this uses 2 skeins, so that makes it a little more wallet friendly.


 
Blocked out...You can see the overall pattern.
Stockinette at the top...then built out
The increase areas are full of eyelets and the rest of the shawl is full of a beautiful ostrich pattern.
You can block it out to be straight on the edge, wavy, or pointed.

I'm currently finalizing the written pattern and completing a fingering weight version of it out of Happy Feet sock yarn. All you sock yarn lovers out there--this will be great for spring and summer!

I'll keep you all updated when this goes up for sale on Ravelry, my etsy site, and at Stitches & Scones. (For those of you who are local, the shawl is also a class that I am offering at S&S.)

2 comments:

Sheila said...

that is gorgeous! i've been looking for a shawl pattern for myself [crochet], but unfortunately i'm not an advanced enough knitter to try that.

Brownie Knits said...

Thanks, Sheila. It's been a lot fun to do...and expiring. I want to do more and more! A crocheted one would be interesting. I might have to put that on the list!

If you are a beginning knitter, you might try Judy Pascale's garter stitch shawl. It is super basic and would help you get used to the top-down triangle shape. Then, you could dive into all the lace ones that are taking over the world!