Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Gina Shawl--Sock Yarn Version

I have a problem. Like thousands, um millions, of other knitters, I LOVE all the beautiful sock yarn that is out there. The problem? I don't care to knit socks all that often. (Side note: I really enjoyed making the thockies because the construction is so interesting and it is on worsted weight, so I didn't have second sock syndrome!) So...I use my sock yarn to knit up shawls.

When I designed the Gina Shawl it was suggested that we do it on Worsted or Bulky weight so that it went fast and you could see the pattern fairly fast. I decided at that point that I wanted my shawl to be written for multiple weights. It took me all of five minutes to settle on worsted and fingering/sock weight. I ran upstairs and pulled sock yarn off the wall, wound it up, and casted on. I've been knitting it using my written pattern so that I can make sure that all the slips and YOs are where they are supposed to be in the pattern.

Yarn: 2 skeins of Plymouth Happy Feet (sock weight)
Color 4 (of course, it is red!)
Needle: US 8 32" circular needle
Gauge: 5 sts/inch in St st
Notions: 8 markers (more if you want to mark all repeats)

I knitted this EXACTLY the same as the worsted weight version. I intentionally wanted it to be short so that you can wear it just over the shoulders or up around your neck. However, there are notes in the pattern if you want to extend the length. It is about 3.5 to 4 inches shorter than the worsted weight and 4 to 5 inches shorter in the width. It is a perfect size and weight for the spring and summer.



Oh...and just because I haven't uploaded any lately, here is a picture of Kennedy. All curled up on Daddy's lap and sleeping like a baby...

4 comments:

SusanSW said...

When will the Gina Shawl be ready to purchase? I love the swirls in it!

Brownie Knits said...

I foolishly hit reject instead of publish on the following posts:

Deb: "your shawl is absolutley beautiful. Love the color and pattern."

Jen: "I just love your shawl design!"

Thanks to you both for such positive feedback! I got so excited that I hit the wrong button!!!!!

Brownie Knits said...

Hi Susan--I am placing the final edits on it tonight/tomorrow night. I am planning to upload it by Wednesday night for sale on both my etsy site: ginakanouse.etsy.com and in Ravelry.

So glad you like it!

G

J.B. said...

gorgeous things you knit. impressive