Friday, May 22, 2009

Yarn Crawl Day One

Boy are my feet tired! We had an adventurous day. After dropping off the doggies at the kennel and putting gas in the car, we were off (only 15 minutes behind schedule). We made our way to the first shop...well, we thought we were. You see, we had directions to it in Dayton. The problem was it wasn't in Dayton--it was in Centerville. We didn't discover this until we were standing on the corner in Dayton and called the shop. Now, normally this would just be a bummer, right. Well, nothing is normal with our trips (recall the train trip of 08?). We were actually at the (drum roll) JAIL!!!!! There were all these people around and we couldn't figure out what was going on. A festival? Some sporting event? Something interesting? Well, it was release time! Oh goodness. After getting back in the car, we were on our way again.


After getting the hell out of Dayton, we went to Yarnique in Fairborn, OH. A fairly new shop, the owner was nice and we were greeted by Piper the dog. So cute. She followed us around and hung out with Patrick while I shopped. She had a nice stock of Malabrigo. I picked up a pair of Hiya Hiya DPNs and a skein of sock yarn/pattern. I thought I might knit on this in the car tomorrow and Sunday--we'll see. I also purchased something else, but those are Christmas surprises for Tonia and Nancy, so you'll have to check back in December to see... (At each stop (except for the jail), Patrick took a picture of me in front of the store with my bag of goodies.)

My favorite event of the day was going to YarnMarket of yarnmarket.com fame. You get to see the show room, which displays a skein of each yarn they have. Then, a staff member takes you into the warehouse of row after row of yarn. Stephanie helped me shop and she was wonderful. My purpose here (of course I planned) was to get some Twisted Sister and Rio de la Plata yarn. I'll post pix of the yarns next week. They are beautiful. I saw this great basket purse from Lantern Moon and picked up one in turquoise. (Tonia, you'll be so proud that I didn't go with the coral/red one!) A must stop if you are in the Columbus area during the week.

The Yarn Shop in Columbus was up next (after hotel check in). Sidebar: We are staying at the Hyatt by the convention center. I stay here for TNNA each year, so it was convenient. There is a comic book/sci fi convention going on so when we checked in we saw a pirate also checking in. Next to him was a contestant from Top Chef (the actual real person). It was a little strange to say the least. Back to The Yarn Shop: A large inventory, I found some tags to sew into garments that say

Made for You By Your Favorite Aunt

Those will be great for Aidan and Jack items--I can always tell myself I'm the favorite, right? :) Also grabbed my next target purchase of Aracania in a green/brown/yellow colorway. I'm thinking that I will make a vest to wear over a brown oxford in the fall. I've wanted to try out this yarn for a few months now. This store also had a lot of purse accessories that I haven't seen before. Lots of handles for $8-$10. What a great deal! I picked up a pair for a future bag. (Anybody crocheted the baguette bag yet? I'm thinking it is next up.)

Then it was on to the Knitter's Mercantile. Also a store with a lot of stock. Lots of Debbie Bliss. Found a cute felted flower notions case for a few dollars and got handpainted yarn for 40% off. What a steal. At 270 yards a skein, I am planning for a simple top-down sweater for the fall. I think it will be gorgeous. The yarn is all golden tones and the colorway is Caramel Camel. Very unique.

Last stop was Heavenly Creations. Although this store had the best space (a cute house), it didn't have much inventory. I did find a needle felting flowers pattern to try out.

General feedback on the day:
  1. When planning your trip, ask the city when you confirm hours. Otherwise, you just might pass go and go directly to jail!
  2. Yarn stores should crank the air when it is 85 degrees. All of the stores were blazing hot and many of them had the lights off. When you get to that point, it is time for fans and air conditioning.
  3. Ohio is overrun with "Exit Only" lanes.
  4. The White Castle Inc is located in the Porcelain Building. I found that hilarious.
  5. My iPod set on shuffle has a bias. It kept playing David Cook and Daughtry over and over.
  6. I have the best husband ever that he is taking me on this trip!
Next up, sleep. Then, banana pancakes and the drive to the Great Lakes Fiber Show!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun! I'm glad you are having a great time and I agree I think you have a great husband!

Thanks for the info on all the shops. Have fun with all your new goodies!

Diane

Anonymous said...

dudette! WOW, YOU ARE ONE LUCKY QUEEN! it all looks wonderful and what a fun adventure.