Friday, February 20, 2009

Crochet Versus Knitting

I recently taught a few students how to crochet. I love to crochet--it gives me an immediate satisfaction that I don't always get from knitting. It grows sooooo much faster than the little knit stitch does. I get asked all the time if knitting or crochet is easier and which one I prefer. Here is my standard answer:
  • I prefer the look of knitting more than crochet.
  • I prefer the fast action of crochet.
  • I prefer the knitting patterns over most crochet patterns.
  • I prefer crochet afghans over knitted ones.
  • I have better memories of my grandmothers and aunts when I think of crochet.
  • Crochet uses 1/3 more yarn than knitting.
  • Knitting only has two stitches.
  • Crochet has many stitches and options, but it isn't as exact as knitting so you can fake it more.
  • Knitting is an exacting science, more so than crochet.
  • Crochet has the little hook so you can go FAST!
  • Crochet is MUCH easier to fix if you have a mistake.
  • Both are relaxing.
As you can see the pros and cons of each are why I like them. Regarding what is easier to learn, well, whatever you learn first. I hear it over and over again, the knitters insist that knitting is easier when they try to learn crochet. The crocheters insist that crochet is easier when they try to learn to knit. My personal opinion, from many hours of teaching, is that crochet is faster for people to learn. I theorize this because 1. it has a hook so it is easier to grab than yarn than the knitting needle 2. once you learn the yarn over, all the various stitches are just a matter of how many times you YO and where you stick the hook. The other thing I have noticed is that crocheters have an easier time knitting than knitters do crocheting. Why? I think that it is because knitting is so exact. Knitters have a harder time with all the variations you can do in crochet.

Here is a finished picture of Emma in her Swirls cap.

Here are Emma and Jamie crocheting along on their projects.
Jamie is making tons of fingerless mittens that are a fast and easy crochet.
They will make wonderful gifts.

No comments: