Sunday, January 11, 2009

Knitting and the iPhone

I can be a little geek when it comes to technology. Not as much as some people I know (you know who you are), but more than normal. As I was playing around on my iPhone the other day I did a search for apps related to knitting/crochet. I discovered two apps that I downloaded and put into use:
  • StitchMinder by Quilt to Go: This app lets you use your iPhone as a row counter. You can track Rows Completed, Pattern Rows, Pattern Repeats, and Increase/Decrease Rows. Leave the setting at 0 an then tap the number to count up to what your pattern requires. Or Reset the beginning number to your goal and select ascending, then tap the number to count down. A simple app that works well and, if you are like me, you are never without a row counter now. Best of all, this app is FREE.
  • KnittyBag: This 99-cent app is well worth the money that it will save you. The app lets you input all of your needles so that you always know exactly what needles sizes/types/lengths you have at home. The needles are organized by straights, double points, and circulars and you can input size, length, type (metal/wood/plastic). You can also track your crochet hooks. Finally, there is a brief glossary included that lists common abbreviations and their meanings. I have all of my needles/hooks tracked in Ravelry, but the Ravelry needle inventory sheet doesn't readily display the specifics. This little app is well worth the dollar!
These were the only two that I have found thus far. If you know of any others, please share with your geeky friends!

No comments: