Friday, January 16, 2009

Book Review of Glam Knits, Boutique Knits, and Itty-Bitty Hats

During an after Christmas sale, I picked up three books at a great discount. I was so excited when they arrived today!
  • Glam Knits by Stefanie Japel: I loved Stefanie's Fitted Knits book and have taught her One Skein Wonder Shrug as a class. (If you ever get a chance to take a class from her, she is great.) This book is full of glamorous knits out of some yummy yarns. If you have a fantastic body, this book is for you. For the larger ladies in life, not as many patterns that you would find comfortable, but still a few not to be missed. I especially love the Cascade 220 Tweed coat sweater. The buttons lining up the sleeve are used in a creative and beautiful way. It is definitely on the must knit list.
  • Boutique Knits by Laura Irwin: I love to make hats, but not your normal knit hat. I like to make hats with style. I was immediately drawn to this book that is full of stylish hats and other accessories. From the side cloche hat to the argyle lace hat, you will want to make them all. I am planning to make as many from them as stash as possible to whip up some Christmas 2009 gifts and a few for myself. (For you Stitches and Sconers, I did tell Molli about the book and she has a few copies on order.) In addition to the hats, there is a half felted/half unfelted purse that I find intriguing and a GORGEOUS pair of fingerless mittens. Buttons on the mittens and the argyle hat are too cute.
  • Itty-Bitty Hats by Susan B. Anderson: I have a new niece or nephew on the way (WAY SOON). I wanted to knit up some hats to keep the little one warm. He/She will be living an hour outside of Chicago, so the little one will need something to keep those ears warm. This book is a treasure trove of fun baby hats. Something for girls and boys throughout the pages. I've been waiting for years for the right sale to purchase this book. I'm so glad I finally purchased it. Depending on the gender of the baby, I have the hats all mapped out. AND, I already have a lot of yarn in my stash that will work perfectly. BONUS!
Now, I need to go button shopping for all the patterns I love that utilize buttons. Happy knitting on this subzero weather day. I'm off to knit a turtle, but more on that later...

No comments: